[Equest-users] Heating load during weekends

Bruce Easterbrook bruce5 at bellnet.ca
Tue Jun 15 16:33:09 PDT 2010

Once the people are gone there are significant adjustments which can be
made to how the building operates.  You can set the fans to cycle on in
unoccupied hours, ie the just come on to maintain temperature.  You can
adjust your unoccupied temperatures as well, "setback".  The major
adjustment is outside air, no people, don't need it, just a little to
control off-gassing.  Conditioning outside air is a major consumer of
energy.  There are several ways to adjust this in eQuest.
The hospital running 24/7 initially you would think should be the same
every day.  There are things going on which may only happen on week days
which could change this.  Operating theatres come to mind, which can
require large amounts of outside air during operation, labs and fume
hoods, laundry services.  The population would be much higher during 8-5
on week days, more outside air required.
Equest has certain standard schedules (defaults) it will use for a
particular type of building.  These are just crude assumptions.
Everyone of them should be reviewed and tuned to your project.
Bruce Easterbrook P.Eng.
Abode Engineering