[Equest-users] Actual Building Energy Cost

Eric O'Neill elo at MichaelsEngineering.com
Thu Jun 17 11:22:57 PDT 2010

Thanks David, that's good to hear the level of rigor there was high and expected by the client.

I guess my concern here, if I had to summarize it, is that being X% away from the energy bills risks conflating precision for accuracy. Now, if you're 1-2% away on month by month maybe you can start to feel like you're more accurate, but even that still seems potentially too large grained to me. Maybe that's naïve - I certainly don't have the experience you, or many of the people on this board have. I think ultimately, the energy modeler just needs to understand that the limitations of the tool and the uncertainty involved with inputs affect accuracy at least as much as being close to energy bills. Most importantly, that all needs to be communicated and understood by the client so they don't think they are receiving something that they are not.

Good discussion, thanks!

Eric

From: David Bastow [mailto:dbastow at mcclure-engineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:20 AM
To: Eric O'Neill; aazhari at jainconsultants.com; equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: RE: [Equest-users] Actual Building Energy Cost

Of course, your fee reflects the amount of accuracy the client is requiring you to have.  Some clients might only expect 5-20% accuracy, and of course you would provide them with a lower fee.  However, in over 17 years of running hourly, climate history based, energy estimating software, (not always eQUEST), I don't ever remember doing a study where we were satisfied with being more than 5% off on our final base model.  If you are happy with being 25% or more off, then why even do a model, you might as well just guess or do some kind of energy saving hand calculation.  The fun part is getting modeled gas usage and electrical usage, month to month, to follow historical monthly trends and still be close to the annual energy usage on both.  When you get both the annual energy usage and the monthly energy usage of gas and electric close to historical usage, then that's when you feel good about your base model to compare against ECM runs.

No one said this was easy.  That's why you earn ever dime of your fee.  Your first preliminary base model run, if you do a good job, might be 5-20% off historical usage.  To even get that close normally requires an extensive survey, documenting ever identifiable energy using item, interviews regarding usage by the occupants and maybe even data logging usage of some important items, to confirm actual usage.  It can, depending on the size and complexity of the modeled building, take several days to a week or more and a hundred or more runs to just create a good solid base model, that reflects historical usage.  That's why modeling a new building, without any historic energy usage data to match, other than approximate BTU's per square foot, is a piece of cake.

David A. Bastow

McClure Engineering, Inc.