[Equest-users] Cycling fans

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Fri Mar 5 12:07:02 PST 2010

I've got an eQUEST model where my designed building has PIUs. I was
getting a number of hours of unmet loads till I turned on Night cycle
control. With PIUs you can set it to Zone fans only - which makes sense.
The loads were met and the energy usage went up marginally.

The base building is a standard VAV system (system 7).  Since the VAV
system doesn't have zone fans, I have to set it to cycle on any. The
energy use goes up considerably in this case. Is this normal? Should I
be meeting the loads in another way?

Also - is it acceptable to have night cycling for a LEED/Appendix G
submittal? The building is just not meeting its heating needs if I don't
do this. It's a historic building with a lot of perimeter glass (single
pane) and so the perimeter zones get pretty cold at night (one of the
reasons we have PIUs)

Am I correct in taking credit for this?

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
1201 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA 30361
Responsive Design * Technological Expertise * Exceptional Service
Please visit our new website | www.lordaecksargent.com
<file:///\\www.lordaecksargent.com\>

P Think GREEN before you print.