[Equest-users] Ice Storage - Chiller efficiency, etc.

Greg Collins GCollins at glumac.com
Tue Mar 23 14:11:06 PDT 2010

I have two air-cooled chillers that I'm using to charge an ice thermal
storage system at night.  I have entered the EIR that equest calculated
with the EER based on the chillers' normal operating conditions (44
degree CHWST).  Now, the model with ice storage is using about 46% less
energy for space cooling, which is way too low.  They should be pretty
close to the same..

Does anybody have experience with this?  I'm thinking that equest isn't
derating my chillers while they're making ice (should be ~35% decrease
in efficiency).  I will probably have to get the chiller efficiencies at
ice-making conditions and add 2 more chillers into equest at these
conditions to charge my ice storage, and just allow the other chillers
to run during the day.  Can anybody confirm this or provide any other
tips?

Thanks,

Greg Collins
Design Engineer / Energy Analyst