[Equest-users] Baseline Building HVAC system

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 13:31:56 PDT 2010

Rob,

first of all---its just not that simple.  It depends on:

   1. what guidelines are you supposed to use for the baseline?  If this is
   a LEED project which version of LEED will dictate which ASHRAE 90.1 version
   you reference.  If it is not a LEED project who is the 'authority' that is
   approving your baseline--they will have guides that they want to see used
   for the baseline.
   2. What are the proposed building systems for the building design--what
   has the ME designed and what type of heating source is being used.  When you
   use ASHRAE 90.1 App. G, the baseline system selection table depends on the
   size of your building, the classification (non-res, res), and the heat
   source being used in the actual building design.
   3. There really shouldn't be any impact of your below ground floor on the
   decision/selection of your baseline systems, what is the below ground space
   and how is your ME designer conditioning that space per the design drawings.
   4. If you do not have any design direction from your ME, then you will
   have to take a more "assumptive" approach as the simulator and this can be a
   very tricky approach if you "assume" incorrectly--but many factors to help
   identify a valid assumption will go back to whatever your case is for the
   first three points I have shared.

Do you have a copy of the ASHRAE Standard 90.1?   We are happy to help, but
we will need more detail from you so that we can point you in the right
direction.

Pasha

PK Consulting