[Equest-users] ASHRAE Baseline EUI

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Mar 1 07:58:55 PST 2010

I was just suggesting the same thing...

E-star's target finder is not the most crystal-clear of tools, but does
pretty much deliver what you're looking for.

Some nuances:

Choosing various energy sources (i.e. Grid Electricity vs. Bituminuous
Coal) does have an effect on the CO2 emission calculations, but not on
the resulting target/average energy results.  Those energy figures are
not affected by the region your project is in, so it would be a stretch
to say you're getting a baseline of "Warehouses in Chicago."  You will
however get a baseline btu/sf/yr that corresponds with your building
occupancy and size.

For further reading, I've attached a document I received on request from
the EPA, which details how source energy is dealt with currently... it's
informative if you need/want to understand what exactly the e-star
target finder tool is doing with regards to those "source energy" inputs
- which can have somewhat unintuitive effects on the results that are
churned out.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER