[Equest-users] Pump Gas Consumption?

Gaurav Mehta gmehta75 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 07:06:07 PST 2010

Omer,

Its not gas consumption for pumps, but represents energy consumed by the pilot light for the furnace. The new technology has in fact done away with pilot lights, therefore, newer equipments do not consume this energy, and can be set to 0.

When you create a system with gas furnace heat, by default the Furnace Fuel Auxiliary is set at 800 Btu/h.
Change it to 0 and gas consumption under Pump & Aux will disappear.

Please see the excerpt from DOE-2 help and the screen-shot below:

FURNACE-AUX
The rate of energy use of the furnace pilot. For a gas-fired furnace, this is the energy consumed by the pilot light when there is no load on the furnace. In this case the program assumes that the pilot light consumption when the furnace is "on" is included in FURNACE-HIR-FPLR. For an oil-fired furnace, FURNACE-AUX is the energy consumed by the spark ignition and the fuel pumping system when there is a load on the furnace. In this case, the auxiliary energy consumed in a given hour is FURNACE-AUX times the part load ratio that hour (therefore, no energy is consumed when there is no load on the furnace). This auxiliary fuel is allocated to the AUX-FUEL-METER.

Best regards,

Gaurav Mehta

Sustainable Building Analyst
Stantec Consulting Services Inc.