[Equest-users] Heat recovery run around loop

David Bastow dbastow at mcclure-engineering.com
Tue Mar 16 08:21:55 PDT 2010

Nick,

In the detailed modeling mode click on the system and then go to the
spreadsheet mode then select energy recovery ventilator drop down menu
and utilize all the inputs in that area, regarding energy recovery
ventilator, to input all your design information.  I have used this
numerous times for the application that you are talking about.  I would
caution you not to just use all the default efficiency numbers that will
show up automatically, but input as close as you can actual design
numbers on efficiency and especially on KW use, that you have involved
in this design process.  You can input the KW use for your pump in the
place of the fan KW or fan and pump KW use together, if that is
applicable.  I have noticed often times that inexperienced modelers
often will just use the KW use default numbers, because it is easy,
rather than really taking the necessary design time to figure out what
the true KW use numbers are actually.  These incorrect input numbers
will many times show the electrical use related to the heat recovery
system to be way higher than they actually are.  This will often make a
very good energy conservation measure, incorrectly, into a real dog.
You should also take real care on how the system is controlled and
should probably run a number of different models, with different control
sequences, to see which control design works best for your particular
heat recovery design.

Thanks,
David A. Bastow
McClure Engineering, Inc.