[Equest-users] Series Chillers

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Tue Mar 30 14:49:44 PDT 2010

I suggest that you make an equivalent chiller in eQuest that acts as the series-counterflow machines (together as one modeled chiller, with combined performance data - the vendor should be able to provide this for both working together) and use the logic to run it when the load is high, then make a second chiller that is equivalent to the single chiller that you would use when the load is lower, based on whatever staging sequences that will be used in the design.

There are some advantages in compressor energy consumption and high-*T situations like Katie's model, which may be partially offset by pumping energy depending on your configuration.

You can find a couple of articles out there from ASHRAE Journal, several from the vendors, also I have one from Dave Grumman and Al Butkus appearing in BD+C magazine in 1986 - not a new idea!

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, HBDP
Project Manager

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Fax: (847) 328-4550

http://www.grummanbutkus.com
Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers