[Equest-users] FW: Voodoo Engineering

Eric O'Neill elo at MichaelsEngineering.com
Wed May 19 14:02:13 PDT 2010

I'll post my response to John now that his email I'm responding to has
been posted (what's the proper procedure on this? Should private
welcome.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric O'Neill
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:04 PM
To: 'Eurek, John S NWO'; Varkie C Thomas
Cc: cmg750 at gmail.com
Subject: RE: Voodoo Engineering

John,

The purpose of energy modeling is to identify differences between two
energy related setups. The idea is to tell you how much you could
conceivably save by switching from one design to another. This is useful
for a payback analysis or life cycle cost analysis.

For instance, if you were considering going to three inches of
continuous insulation on your roof, you could do one of three things (I
think).

1) Cross your fingers and hope the savings justify the costs (probably
not).
2) Do a hand calculation. You'll need to use U*A*dT, and make
assumptions based on past historical weather as to what your future
weather will be. If you really want to get accurate, you'll need to
factor the roof albedo, wind corrections, solar gains, thermal lags,
etc. This is extremely time intensive and is not simple. To top it off,
I can almost guarantee the savings (for an insulation calculation) will
be less than the time it takes you to develop the calculation.
3) Use your energy model. All those factors I listed above are included
in the energy model. It uses the same assumptions (what you're referring
to as statistics - weather, occupancy, activities, etc.) that you'd need
to use in your hand calculation.

Energy modeling is about making smart, financially sound decisions about
building systems. LEED should be a secondary concern. It is certainly
(in my opinion) a waste of money if designers don't use energy modeling
early in the process to effectively guide decisions, but that is the
design team's issue, not the USGBC's.

The calculations that are preformed do not use any statistical equations
(to my knowledge). They use tried and true engineering equations.
Obviously, they will be limited by the assumptions you make (weather,
occupancy, activities, etc.) but the idea is to hold those assumptions
constant between the analysis. For this reason, unless they are
significantly off (using weather from LA on a building going into
Minneapolis), the assumptions shouldn't have a significant impact on the
outcome. Yes, if you screw with the assumptions between the two models,
you will generate false results. That's not the idea.

I understand your frustration with exceptional calculations, but I
disagree with the idea that these tools are primitive. They can do
vastly more than can be done by hand, and this is due to the tools being
developed for over 30 years. If you would like to convince yourself of
this, try to set up an insulation calculation based on the variables
listed above. I needed to do this for a utility program and it took me
several weeks to get working decently (the ASHRAE fundamentals book has
good sections on how to calculate this). It's still extremely buggy and
needs significant modification based on specifics of new projects. And
that's for something as simple as roof insulation!

New technology will always be a challenge, but the time saved using an
energy model is dramatic compared to doing everything by hand. The
fundamental laws of physics which govern this stuff aren't changing, and
they certainly aren't getting any easier, so I don't think hoping for a
better way is going to provide anything other than false hope.

Hope this helps, (I'm really not trying to be inflammatory :) )

Eric