[Equest-users] Queries

Piyush Varma varpiyush at gmail.com
Tue May 4 08:51:13 PDT 2010

Hi,
thank you all...again the alternating solar gain factor is thorn in my
flesh...i was actually looking for  hourly data for New Delhi for eight
orientations (N,S,E,W,NW,NE,SW,SE)...
just in case anybody is familiar with the Admittance Procedure here is the
formula

Qs(swing)-Swing in Fluctuating gains for Transparent surfaces.
A-Area of the glazing
I-Intensity
S-Solar Gain Factor

Formula
*Qs(swing)=A X I(swing) X S(swing)*
where, I(swing)=Intensity(at time t) - Average Intensity
& S(swing)=S(at time t)-Average S

here is what Nick had suggested...but having tried that i didnt quite get
the right results...maybe i am doing some thing wrong.....I would get S=.86
for all sunshine hours(mult factor=1) & S=0 for the night(& early morning)
hours when there is no sunshine (mult factor=0) but here is a gist of the
previous brainstorming session..

Hi Piyush,

Apologies, I wasn’t sure whether you meant SHGF.

I did some googling to check my vocabulary and found this reference:
http://www.levolux.com/L_PDF_Files/Lev.
Comp Analysis Table.pdf<http://www.levolux.com/L_PDF_Files/Lev.%20Comp%20Analysis%20Table.pdf>

It looks like:  Solar Gain Factor (S Factor) = Shading Coefficient (SC) *
0.87

I can add that:  Shading Coefficient (SC) = (Center of Glass SHGF) / 0.87

So to answer your first question, while this is the first time I’ve
personally run into S Factors, it would appear they’re analogous to a
center-of-glass SHGF, but can vary based on external shading devices
(including trees, curtains and shades) per the above.  I’m copying
eQuest-users to share the following procedure and to allow others to correct
any misunderstandings we may have regarding what S Factor really means – I
hope you don’t mind!

So per your second inquiry to determine the hourly S Factors, and because I
was curious, here’s a procedure:

-          Set up your windows and all variable shading items.

-          Create an hourly report/block for the window(s) in question
selecting the items shown in the  screengrab below – SC and “Value by
which…” SC multiplier for those of you in the archives.

-          Run the simulation and open the hourly results up in excel (hit
the ‘hourly results’ button in the sim viewer).

-          Multiply those values across to get your hourly effective SC, and
again by 0.87 to get an hourly S Factor.