[Equest-users] change roof construction to glass

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Thu May 6 09:26:51 PDT 2010

Lauren,

I don't think you can do what you are trying to achieve in eQuest/DOE2.
There's a couple things to think about.  You could effectively assign the
thermal properties of your roof construction to that of your glazing (i.e.
U-value, reflectance, etc.) but you will not be able to simulate the solar
gain properties or VLT unless the object is specified as a window or
skylight.  If you go this route you will also not be able to simulate
daylight harvesting from the roof glass either.  DOE2 needs to know that it
is a window or skylight in order for the daylighting controls to work.

I would suggest maybe 2 options to try: 1) You can input skylights to cover
the greatest percentage of your roof area that will fit within the geometry
that you describe and still get some amount of glass roof effects accounted
for in your simulation although we know it won;t be 100% accurate for the
proposed design.  2) you can do all of these thermal effect calculations
outside of eQuest and use your calculated data to integrate these numbers
with your simulation output---this is a much more tedious approach and you
will have to rely on your manual engineering analysis to describe the
anticipated thermal results that can't be simulated within the program.

Hope this helps.
Pasha

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Lauren Rosenthal <Lauren.Rosenthal at arup.com