[Equest-users] Voodoo (Enlightenment)

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Thu May 20 12:03:45 PDT 2010

One of my favorite approaches when things aren't designed yet is to make a
responsible assumption and use it in the model.  With the model results, my
clients get a list of assumptions and inputs.  This way you can use the
model to push the designers to create a responsible design.  The lighting
designer hasn't finished designing yet? OK, enter 0.6 w/sf in your model
push them to get their power density down while still providing enough
light!  You can do the same with the building envelope, mechanical systems,
etc.  If things are not finished, this also opens the opportunity for you to
get involved and help the design team create the design.  Show them the
difference with model results between x and y.  Show them how good their
building can be, if they want it to.  This does mean that the model has to
be re-worked when it's time to submit LEED documentation to reflect what is
actually provided, but it's a small price to pay.

--
Karen