[Equest-users] eQuest - outside air heating issues

David Bastow dbastow at mcclure-engineering.com
Wed May 26 07:54:11 PDT 2010

If you are entering the min. OSA intake through the air handler or
system level then you need to zero out the OSA items in the zone level
to get the system OSA control to work, the only exception to this is if
you are doing something with demand control ventilation.  This will
bring in the min. OSA through the air handler whenever the the air
handler fan is on, unless you set up a schedule to vary the min. %
amount of outside air that is to be brought in through the air handler
at different times.  Anything that you set up for OSA at the zone level
will override what you put in through the system.  The eQUEST program is
set up to automatically do this override  If your air handler was set up
to cycle off at night when unoccupied or you had some schedule to vary
the outside air intake through the air handler, then the amount of OSA
with the system method would be reduced at times.  While, unless you set
up some schedule, the zone level OSA method would continue to bring in
OSA, thus increasing the heating gas consumption.  While there are many
factors on a program this complex that could be causing this gas
increase to happen, I would guess that it is this or something related
to this, as I have experienced this in the past.

David A. Bastow
McClure Engineering, Inc.