[Equest-users] eQUEST Help Desk Funding

Jeremy McClanathan jmcclanathan at CDiengineers.com
Wed May 26 12:00:27 PDT 2010

From: jeff at sharpenotes.com [mailto:jeff at sharpenotes.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:34 AM
To: Dakota Kelley
Cc: eQUEST Users List
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] eQUEST Help Desk Funding

Ashland, OR

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Dakota Kelley" <dakotak at teliospc.com<mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>>
Date: Wed, May 26, 2010 11:13 am
To: "Carol Gardner" <cmg750 at gmail.com<mailto:cmg750 at gmail.com>>, "eQUEST Users List"
<equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org<mailto:equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org>>
Carol,

Let me cut through the philosophical stuff and set a starting bid: were I to find myself in need, I would pay $125/hr for one-on-one, pay-per-use, phone/WebEx-style assistance, billed in 0.25 hr increments or each fraction thereof, with a minimum charge of 0.5 hrs.  This assumes the person providing the help has both a mechanical engineering degree and years of eQUEST experience, which appears to fit your description.  If Portland has not eliminated your Canadian accent, I would gladly pay aboot $126/hr..what’s another loonie, eh?  Naturally, there would be a high expectation that you should be able to solve nearly any issue somewhat quickly, and you would have to determine how you want to handle issues you are unable to resolve.  However, I have no qualms about charging or paying for one-on-one help…it’s called “consulting”.  In my early days I posted a couple questions and received no responses – I could’ve just as easily been talking to my HP DeskJet while printing “I hope that helps” messages to myself.  Having an alternate, fee-based help resource would have been a blessing.

If I may enter the philosophical arena for a minute, I’m amazed by the eQUEST users who will comfortably charge their clients thousands of dollars for a model, using “free” software, but expect free assistance and get up in arms when anyone brings up the idea of fee-based help (or that it would be brought up on a forum created for eQUEST help).  There has been talk about helping for “the greater good of the modeling community”, but I don’t find it to be intellectually honest.  Such a notion is predicated on an equal contribution from all participants, but the reality is that there are far more help-seekers than help-providers, and such will always be the case with voluntary forums.  Quick questions that can be answered in five minutes are not an issue, and the forum is wonderful for that, but when it turns into me taking an hour or two to go through someone’s model for free, while they get paid for my findings, is not inherently good for me or the community.  It has been done for me in the past, and I have paid it forward.  However, there are not enough active participants to make this standard operating procedure.  I also refute the notion that having an alternate help source undermines the forum; the two are not mutually exclusive.

So, Carol, please put out your shingle.  I might break my model just for an excuse to call you.

[http://portal.mxlogic.com/images/transparent.gif]                        DAKOTA KELLEY
                                Project Designer

                                Office:      214-744-6199
                                Cell:         214-280-3825
                                Fax:         214-744-0770

http://www.teliospc.com<http://www.teliospc.com/>          3535 Travis St. Suite 115
dakotak at teliospc.com<mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>             Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,
And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any
distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2010 Telios Corporation.