[Equest-users] Equest-users Digest, Vol 32, Issue 12

jacob goodman jacobg at lseng.com
Wed Nov 10 16:41:13 PST 2010

I'm trying to model the energy savings due to improved glazing for an
apartment building. The windows will be changed from single untinted, to
triple pane low-e glass. In addition to better thermal charistics from
improved U-value and SHGC, I am trying capture the savings due to the
fact that the occupants will not have to crank up the thermostat to
raise the air temperature to compensate for the radiant cooling due to
single pane glass if you are standing near the floor to ceiling windows
in winter.

I made a guess that the average occupant will put the heating set point
at 68 instead of 70 since the improved glazing will block the radiant
cooling effect. Is there a more elegant way to model this?

Jacob Goodman , LEED AP