[Equest-users] Zoning Issue

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Nov 10 09:24:48 PST 2010

In full support of Brian's response, I'd add one extra tidbit:

Post-wizards, I would generally take the "delete the wall" approach 9
times out of 10 without a second thought.  In the event you do feel the
mass of the common wall has a significant thermal lag effect you don't
want to eliminate in your model, I'd advise still just deleting the wall
and bumping up the value for the furniture mass (located under the
contents tab for the space in question).

Creating an interior wall to match a wizard-generated exterior (which
I've written a mini guide on, btw - see archives) is something I'd
generally only advocate if model aesthetics are critical (the 3D view).
Deleting the wall surface entirely is a quick solution, but has the side
effect of giving you superman-like xray vision powers when in the 3D
view... this has raised eyebrows in my experience and I have had to
explain the modeled behavior is not what it looks like.

Personally, I reserve and maintain the right to make ugly models
whenever it saves me time and doesn't hinder accuracy, but to each
his/her own ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER