[Equest-users] Modeling a pergola

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Nov 5 11:48:41 PDT 2010

Hi Daka,

You'll have to excuse my lack of architectural vocabulary, but if your
roof is a "pergola" like the ones that come up under a google image
search
<http://www.google.com/images?q=pergola&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:o
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1
482&bih=842> , an open to the air structure for hanging pretty vines and
such...

I'd question why you're modeling it as a roof to begin with.  If that
structure is on top of a roof or adjacent to your building, I'd model a
series of building shades.  I'd account for any conditioning equipment
(IR heater, fans) as process loads.  If it's remote from a building
without any conditioning equipment... why are you trying to make an
energy model of it?

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER