[Equest-users] Modeling inefficiencies of existing buildings

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Nov 9 07:30:28 PST 2010

Those are some good questions!  I'll be interested to hear others'
suggestions/thoughts...

I think I can help directly with question #2:

-          All heat from lights can ultimately go 3 ways in eQuest,
corresponding to 3 fractional variables you can define/modify for
lighting internal loads:

o   LIGHT-TO-SPACE - what fraction of heat goes straight into the
conditioned space

o   LIGHT-TO-RETURN - directly into the return air path  (think:
recessed fixtures in a return air plenum)

o   LIGHT-TO-OTHER - allows you to specify a space for heat to go that
isn't part of a return path.

-          If you wish to model the effects of troffer diffusers, I
think the most direct way to do so would be to differentiate from normal
troffers by modifying the above fractions between the two runs, found
under the internal loads tab (not at the system level).

-          Carefully review your options (i.e. the DOE2 help entry) for
"RETURN-AIR-PATH" at the system level to be sure you aren't skewing the
meaning of what you want to input.

-          While you might take a variety of other approaches... on a
fundamental level, if you try to account for lighting system behavior at
the system level (modifying supply temps and the like), you're likely
going to run into the problem of needing to differentiate the lighting
and HVAC systems' scheduling at some point...

I may be missing some fundamentals, but I suspect that light troffer
diffusers aren't that inefficient on a wholistic system level (in the
grand scheme of things) - ultimately the heat generated by the lights
doesn't just disappear if kept out of the supply/return paths... that
heat eventually needs to be dealt with by the HVAC, directly or
indirectly.  I suppose local thermostats might trip less frequently

Someone with more experience may be able to suggest a path to #1... I'm
stuck for ideas there.

To #3, I think you need to be more explicit regarding which variables
you changed, and what the new/old values were.  It might help to start
with understanding what eQuest is modeling before you 'enable' these
values... the following may help:

Volume 5: Compliance Analysis > Performing Compliance Analysis >
Building Modeling Topics > Duct Efficiency Calculations > Detailed
Interface

Best of luck,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.