[Equest-users] FW: Solar panels

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Nov 24 11:31:10 PST 2010

Hi Alan,

Your questions appear broad enough to suggest the following:

-          The LEED reference guide addresses G2.4 specifically under
EAc1 - better check that out, as the guide take precedence over 90.1
where they conflict when LEED modeling.

-          It also details two approaches to either include your PV in
the proposed model or to use the exceptional calculation method to find
those savings outside of the model.  You get to choose.

-          You might also want to review EAc2.

-          "How do you model solar panels:"  First you need to select
your weapon-of-choice.  You can use eQuest, or a multitude of other
programs (RETscreen and PV Watts have been mentioned in a positive light
on this list... see archives for discussions).  What you choose depends
on your approach per above.  I'd suggest getting that far and then first
giving it a try so you can phrase more specific questions if you have
any issues come up.

-          Remember inquiries not specific to eQuest may be more quickly
answered on the [bldg-sim] list.

While I haven't submitted a project with utility buy-back, I'm unaware
of anything disallowing purchased energy to be included in the
calculation of the achieved cost savings.  I'd caution however to be
prepared to document thoroughly how that calculation is made.  To put
myself in a reviewer's shoes, I'd personally think a visual would be in
order to demonstrate when and to what magnitude the energy production
exceeds consumption through the year.

I have my own general LEED question for everyone:

I thought a fundamental change in LEED v3 is that they no longer
consider precedent (CIR's) a justification for anything...  Any
project's LEED review team is fully permitted to completely change their
stances between projects as they deem fit to make their case-by-case
re-interpretations.  Is my world-view overly bleak, or is it advisable
to caution others to take any CIR's with a grain block of salt these
days?

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER