[Equest-users] Equest Cooling Capacity Sizing

Justin Chin jchin.bu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 07:14:44 PDT 2010

Hey all,

 I was wonder what are the steps that Equest takes to calculate and
size the cooling capacity for a cooling system.  I have a server room
that is 4,100 sq ft and has a load density of 150 W/ft2, which would
theoretically require at least a 174 ton cooling system.  However,
Equest calculated the cooling capacity to be 255 tons and a supply cfm
instead, which is much greater that what I expect even accounting for
15% over sizing.  What are some factors that Equest takes into account
to size the capacity?  I know that the design thermostat temperature
and the supply cfm have an effect on the capacity.  Also there is an
unconditioned pitched roof volume above the server room ceiling.
Would the heat transfer through the ceiling significantly increase the
capacity?  Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards
Justin