[Equest-users] Service Water Heating Energy Savings

Will Mak wmak at epsteinglobal.com
Mon Oct 25 08:14:49 PDT 2010

I am working on a project that has energy savings on the domestic water heater for the service water heating due to low flow sinks and lavs. We have been asked to provide calculations to justify the energy savings on the energy model. The spreadsheet I have attached shows the calculation proving our savings however I am having a hard time connecting how eQuest models this compared to the spreadsheet along with matching the energy consumption values from eQuest and the spreadsheet.

What should be the proper inputs for the Service Water Heating system be?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

BASELINE REPORT- BEPU Building Utility Performance                                                   WEATHER FILE- Chicago      IL TMY2

                         TASK     MISC    SPACE    SPACE     HEAT    PUMPS     VENT    REFRIG  HT PUMP   DOMEST    EXT

               LIGHTS   LIGHTS   EQUIP   HEATING  COOLING   REJECT   & AUX     FANS   DISPLAY  SUPPLEM  HOT WTR   USAGE    TOTAL

              -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  --------

EM1  ELECTRICITY

    KWH        94936.       0.  159052.       0.  177219.       0.   33723.  140910.       0.       0.    1857.   10821.   618518.

FM1  NATURAL-GAS

    THERM          0.       0.       0.   33591.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.    33591.

           TOTAL ELECTRICITY    618518. KWH        13.449 KWH     /SQFT-YR GROSS-AREA   13.449 KWH     /SQFT-YR NET-AREA

           TOTAL NATURAL-GAS     33591. THERM       0.730 THERM   /SQFT-YR GROSS-AREA    0.730 THERM   /SQFT-YR NET-AREA

           PERCENT OF HOURS ANY SYSTEM ZONE OUTSIDE OF THROTTLING RANGE =  0.3

           PERCENT OF HOURS ANY PLANT LOAD NOT SATISFIED                =  0.0

           NOTE:  ENERGY IS APPORTIONED HOURLY TO ALL END-USE CATEGORIES.

PROPOSED REPORT- BEPU Building Utility Performance                                                   WEATHER FILE- Chicago      IL TMY2

                         TASK     MISC    SPACE    SPACE     HEAT    PUMPS     VENT    REFRIG  HT PUMP   DOMEST    EXT

               LIGHTS   LIGHTS   EQUIP   HEATING  COOLING   REJECT   & AUX     FANS   DISPLAY  SUPPLEM  HOT WTR   USAGE    TOTAL

              -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  -------  --------

EM1  ELECTRICITY

    KWH        62239.       0.  159052.  113974.  113369.       0.   41385.   66957.       0.       0.    1572.    3721.   562270.

FM1  NATURAL-GAS

    THERM          0.       0.       0.   18311.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.       0.    18311.

           TOTAL ELECTRICITY    562270. KWH        12.226 KWH     /SQFT-YR GROSS-AREA   12.226 KWH     /SQFT-YR NET-AREA

           TOTAL NATURAL-GAS     18311. THERM       0.398 THERM   /SQFT-YR GROSS-AREA    0.398 THERM   /SQFT-YR NET-AREA

           PERCENT OF HOURS ANY SYSTEM ZONE OUTSIDE OF THROTTLING RANGE =  0.7

           PERCENT OF HOURS ANY PLANT LOAD NOT SATISFIED                =  0.0

           NOTE:  ENERGY IS APPORTIONED HOURLY TO ALL END-USE CATEGORIES.

William Mak, LEED Green Associate
Mechanical Design Engineer

EPSTEIN
Architecture
Interiors
Engineering
Construction

600 West Fulton Street
Chicago, Illinois 60661-1259

D: (312) 429-8116
F: (312) 559-1217
E: wmak at epsteinglobal.com <mailto:wmak at epsteinglobal.com>
W: www.epsteinglobal.com <http://www.epsteinglobal.com/>

þ Epstein is a firm believer in sustainability. We ask that you please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.