[Equest-users] Large Heating Savings from Chilled Beams

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Thu Oct 28 13:48:51 PDT 2010

All,

I am getting unusually high heating energy savings, ~50%, when I apply chilled beams (induction units) to patient rooms in a hospital.

I just stumbled across another energy report written by another firm for a laboratory project of ours that shows the same results, ~50% heating energy savings when applying chilled beams.

The cooling and electricity savings are in line with what would be considered reasonable and I realize there should be some heating savings due to a reduced reheat load, but 50% seems excessive.

Both buildings have approximately 40% of the floor area using chilled beams.

The lab is in a cold climate, the hospital is in a more temperate climate.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks,

Fred

FRED BETZ  PhD., LEED AP
SUSTAINABLE SYSTEMS ANALYST

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com  |  www.aeieng.com