[Equest-users] LEED-parking garage question/advice needed

Walson, Kristy kristy.walson at tlc-eng.com
Tue Oct 5 06:21:25 PDT 2010

Hi Pasha,

Having modeled a few parking garages in various software at this point, I also do not agree with the LEED representative's suggestion.  In my experience, parking garages typically have daylighting controls to turn off perimeter lights during the day.  This would be tough for a simulation program to model without creating a separate building for the parking garage.  I know you said that the parking garage would not be utilizing any ECM's, but I like to leave my options open in case an owner comes back and decides that the payback is well worth the money spent up-front for controls.

If you end up incorporating the lighting as a bulk load on the electrical meter at each building, just remember that you'll need 2 bulk loads - one for daytime garage lighting and one for night time exterior lighting.  If you're sure they won't be adding ECM's at a later date, then I think the bulk load idea will work.  Just be sure to spend some time on your lighting schedule because the lighting savings seen between the baseline and proposed models for a parking garage can be significant and you don't want to lose any of this benefit.  Good luck!

Kristy Walson, PE, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer / Sustainable Design