[Equest-users] Default Performance Curves

Erik Kolderup erik at kolderupconsulting.com
Thu Oct 14 10:13:51 PDT 2010

Clifford,

When DOE2 calculates fan power, the equation is (kW current hour) = (kW at
full load)*(EIR-FPLR curve at current part load ratio).

So the output of the EIR-FPLR curve is defined as PLR*(EIR at current
PLR)/(EIR at full load). And PLR is (current hour airflow)/(peak design
airflow). The form of the EIR-FPLR curve can be linear, quadratic or cubic
and the choice is up to you (the defaults are typically quadratic or cubic).
If it's quadratic then the form is EIR-FPLR = a + b*PLR + c*PLR^2. If, for
example, you have constant EIR across the load range, then coefficients a
and c would be zero and b would be 1. Then you have a linear curve EIR-FPLR
= 1*PLR.

Since that's probably clear as mud, another place to look for more info is
the engineers manual

http://doe2.com/download/DOE-21E/DOE-2EngineersManualVersion2.1A.pdf (note
it's a 16 MB file), see page IV.208.

-Erik