[Equest-users] Floor that is situated partly below the grade

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 11:20:43 PDT 2010

Hi Mikhail,

It is not a straight-forward process in eQuest but it can be done.   If I
were in your shoes however I wouldn't separate these two constructions in
eQuest.   I would do some pre-processing of my inputs on my own with a
pencil & calculator.  My approach would be to calculate the area-weighted
average for my U-value of the wall based on the following:

(U-value underground const * X% of total wall area) + (U-value above-ground
const * 1-X% of total wall area) = Model Wall U-value for my simplified
input value.

Where you "manipulate" or process your input data outside of eQuest using
sound engineering & mathmatically theory you can simplify your input process
significantly.  The challenge & balance to remember is that we have to be
careful not to over-simplify our input assumptions too much if they may skew
our model results in anyway.  Just like life, good simulation skills are a
balancing act.

Also, my Father speaks Russian and if you need more detailed assistance with
your energy modeling & eQuest skills I could have him translate for me from
English to Russian if this would help you.

Pasha