[Equest-users] newbie question on simple modeling

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Oct 27 10:19:54 PDT 2010

Sounds like you've run head-on into a conundrum we all continually face
as energy modelers - how accurate is accurate enough?

The savings generated by any glazing retrofit ultimately boil down to
altering the envelope loads the building has to deal with
(solar/conductive)*.  Your real goal is to have those loads' magnitudes
in the right ballpark before doing a comparison.

You should definitely try to use the real-world utility rates, location,
geometries and envelope constructions of the existing building for this
study when making your baseline in the wizards.

To what degree you should calibrate your baseline results depends on
your time available, ability (what you can do in that time) and what
degree of accuracy is desired in the results - it's ultimately your
call.  If you're a total beginner without time to burn, I'd suggest at a
bare minimum to collect and try to roughly match some historical utility
bills on an annual basis.  If the actual building spends $200,000 a year
on gas/electricity and your generic baseline spits out half that, you
will definitely want to improve your model before generating/sharing any
results.   This would provide a (rough) measure of whether your model is
accurately ball parking the envelope loads correctly.

You're correct regarding the overall procedure: make the baseline first,
check and calibrate its behavior to the degree you feel appropriate,
then change the glazing for comparative results.

You might do well to read up on parametric runs first to save yourself
time and streamline the process - then you can simultaneously explore
multiple alternatives within one file.  Also don't miss the significance
of the "use floor multipliers" checkbox in the wizards whenever doing
high-rise building models.

~Nick

*... unless there's daylighting controls involved too, in which case you
should collect as much info regarding those lightings systems/controls
as you can to match in your baseline as well!

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway

olathe ks 66061