[Equest-users] Questions about shading effect simulation with eQUEST and DOE-2, Hope your help!

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Oct 18 08:48:37 PDT 2010

Hi Lei Lei,

I can't say whether eQuest/DOE2 is the ideal tool for your research
(that's a question better answered by someone with cross-platform
experience), but from my limited experience I think your results are not
necessarily unreasonable.  Note that while eQuest/DOE2 can model the
shading and solar reflective realities present in real world buildings,
it does not explicitly model any changes to the wind behavior incident
on a building.  You may wish to address whether you do or do not intend
to account for the effects of windspeed on infiltration/envelope
U-values while exploring the shading effects of nearby buildings.

1.  In general, it would be odd if any set of building shades had an
equal effect on space heating and cooling consumptions.  The magnitude
of a fixed shade's effect on a building's loads changes with the angle
of the sun, which in turn changes between the heating and cooling
seasons.  Further, most buildings are either "cooling dominated" or
"heating dominated" due to a combination of their climate, internal
loads and envelope design.  As an example, some buildings will have a
minimal effect on their heating loads from building shades as they're
highly insulated, have significant internal loads and as such don't need
the additional solar loads in the winter to begin with.

2.  I can only speculate as this could be the result of a number of
things, but perhaps a location with less sun annually would observe a
relatively higher impact from losing that heating source during the
winter?  Have you confirmed the areas you are defining as "higher solar
radiation" reflect that in the TMY2 data you're using?  Are the effects
of daylighting controls skewing your results?  I'm guessing your
locations might be within Japan based on your university which I
understand has a very wide range of climates from Kyuushuu (subtropical)
to Hokkaido (brr!) - if the goal is to isolate the effects of building
shading, you may do well to first observe the differences within a
single climate zone before moving your model all over...

A good amount of this is speculative (shots in the dark) - but  if all
else fails there's always the lingering possibility that what's expected
is wrong.  Sometimes our models can teach us things when we least expect
it!

Best of luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.