[Equest-users] modeling w/ limited info?

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:57:32 PDT 2010

Hi Mike,

I thought you were a seasoned professional. Anyway, I think you can use
eQUEST to study small and simple buildings easily using the Wizards. Just
use the default data for the areas you are not interested in studying. Of
course, it is always good practice to spend some time reviewing the defaults
and correcting ones that are clearly inappropriate. I am not sure whether
EnergyPlus, TRACE, and CarrierHAP, can be used in this way. Another tool for
small buildings is EZ Sim: http://www.ezsim.com/main.htm.

It is also, of course, very good to take a training or two for any model you
decide to use. WRT eQUEST, there are regular trainings offered by the
development team, Marlin Addison and Steve Gates in particular, as well as
regular trainings in Wisconsin and at conferences. I provide training as
well, generally coming to your site and doing a 2 day training with followup
assistance, or via phone using a tool like GoToMeeting.

In any case, welcome to the fold!

Carol Gardner PE

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Mike Diess <mike.diess at gmail.com> wrote:

> to: equest modelers
> fr: Mike Diess
>
> I am a novice equest modeler having only done 4 or 5 buildings w/ simple
> mechanical systems.
> My firm wants to branch out beyond HVAC systems designs. We want to work
> with owners of existing buildings to analyze & offer energy use reduction
> strategies to them. In this scenario our information might be limited & so
> our study might be limited, as well. I find equest to be very comprehensive
> & perhaps not suited to a study focused on one aspect of energy consumption
> ( say, lighting for example). Is equest an appropriate tool in this case, or
> could anyone suggest a simpler tool for more limited applications?
> I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
> Thanks
> Mike
> --
> Mike Diess, PE, LEED AP