[Equest-users] Large Heating Savings from Chilled Beams

Sami, Vikram Vikram.Sami at perkinswill.com
Thu Oct 28 13:56:12 PDT 2010

It possible. Reheat can be a really large load - I've seen labs where 50% of the energy usage was reheat (in Summer).

In most labs, the hot labs control the supply air temperature and the ventilation driven labs end up using a LOT of reheat energy. Chilled beams are really a strategy to reduce reheat loads by allowing you to reset your supply air temperature.

A good sanity check is to submeter the reheat coils. This is easier to do if its electric or attached to a campus steam/hot water system. If it's a boiler I would create a separate boiler for the reheat coils (just for diagnosis).

You could attach your inp file too.

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Sustainable Design Analyst
1382 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30309
t: 404-443-7462    f: 404.892.5823       e: vikram.sami at perkinswill.com   www.perkinswill.com
Perkins+Will.  Ideas + buildings that honor the broader goals of society