[Equest-users] Equest and TRNSYS

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Fri Oct 29 12:08:55 PDT 2010

Cory,

I have integrated eQuest and TRNSYS lots of times.

Create an hourly report in eQuest for your heating load and export it to a .csv file.

I usually convert the eQuest load from Btuh to kJ/hr within excel, but you could use an equation block in TRNSYS.

Use Type9c unformatted data reader from TRNSYS to read the hourly report.

Type9c is located in the tree under: Utility/Data Readers/Generic Data Files/Skip Lines to Start/Free Format

Be careful with the "lines to skip" parameter in Type9c so that it matches the title text in the hourly report .txt file.

Also remember heating load values are supposed to be negative numbers in TRNSYS.

The one caveat with this whole concept is that any over heating or high temps created by your solar thermal system is not translated back to eQuest. Be careful with your control system and verify that you stay within the bounds of eQuest for hot water temperatures to be as realistic as possible.

Fred

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP
Sustainable Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>