[Equest-users] VRF Systems (Jeff Sharpe)

Taylor Sharpe newspectrum at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:13:15 PDT 2010

I wanted to add two things about simulating VRF/VRV systems using eQuest.
 First, here's the link to a great slideshow guide by Dana Troy, who will
take you through the simulation process step-by-step:

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/attachments/20100510/b54414e3/attachment-0001.pdf

Secondly, I've developed (and attached) a flag worksheet whose purpose
is to count the number of instances in which, during one hour, the
.csv output file from an eQuest project shows simultaneous heating and
cooling loads across multiple zones.  The essential idea is that an
eQuest user will copy-and-paste hourly heating/cooling loads from each
zone, at which point the spreadsheet will flag instances in which one
zone is heating while another is cooling.  The spreadsheet looks at kW
usage for electricity and Btu/h for fuel.

I've also included the ability to factor in heating and cooling aux.
power, as well as a graphical display on the second sheet to give a
quick idea of what times of year simultaneous heating & cooling
occurs.

Those who are familiar with excel should be able to learn to use the
spreadsheet quickly to gauge the usefulness of a VRV or similar
system.  I've included instructions at the bottom of the worksheet's
first page.

I hope someone finds this tool useful!  Feedback would be much
appreciated as well.

Regards,
-Taylor Sharpe