[Equest-users] Baseline HVAC System for Hotel

Mak, Jonathan Wai-Ho mak.jonathan at pbworld.com
Thu Sep 16 21:19:45 PDT 2010

Dear eQuest Modelers,

I am wondering what system I should use for the hotel building.
According to ASHRAE 90.1, as hotel belongs to residential building, I have to choose PTAC as my baseline HVAC system.
I have selected DX coil as the cooling source and hot water coil as the heating source.
There are 4 system type for me to choose, including Packaged VAV with HW reheat, Packaged Multizone with HW heat and Packaged DX Series or Parallel Fan-Powered VAV with HW reheat.
Is it suitable to select packaged multizone as the baseline system for the hotel building?
Because after I compared the energy consumption for the baseline and design building which employs 4-pipe FCU as the HVAC system, there seems to be a great energy saving....
I don't know if the system chosen for the baseline building is wrong or not.
Besides, is it really the case that hotel can meet the basic requirement of 14% energy reduction easily? Is FCU much more effective than PTAC?

Thanks for all the answers from professionals.

Best regards,
Jonathan Mak
LEED AP

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments ("this message") may contain confidential information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, disclosure, viewing, copying, alteration, dissemination or distribution of, or reliance on this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or you are not an authorized recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, delete this message and all copies from your e-mail system and destroy any printed copies.