[Equest-users] Modeling Windows: Center of Glass vs Assembly

STEVE SAMENSKI steve at thespinnakergroupinc.com
Thu Sep 16 16:48:16 PDT 2010

Thanks, Carol.  I have two problems with Window 5:
* It can¹t seem to handle complicated multi-pane geometries (though perhaps
there¹s a way to finesse that), and
* It makes as much sense to me as your average Lady Gaga music video

After I work my way through the Fenestration chapter I plan to wade into
Window 5.

Steve Samenski, PE, LEED AP, BEMP
Vice President - Sustainable Technologies
The Spinnaker Group, Inc.
http://equest-diary.livejournal.com/
www.thespinnakergroupinc.com <http://www.thespinnakergroupinc.com>
<http://www.thespinnakergroupinc.com>
Become the solution... Join the USGBC!

On 9/16/10 7:20 PM, "Carol Gardner" <cmg750 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Happy reading. I'm not sure exactly how eQUEST handles all of this but I would
> assume, oooh, dangerous, that if you put in your glass type carefully and take
> care to specify the width and type of frame you have, all of which are in the
> Wizards, you should be good. You could test the output by comparing it to a
> Win5 calculation of your COG U value and frame, or just import the Win5 data
> into the model.
>
> Carol
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM, STEVE SAMENSKI
> <steve at thespinnakergroupinc.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know definitively if eQuest calculates window assembly U-values
>> based on user input?
>>
>> As many have pointed out, the USGBC is now being careful about the
>> distinction between center-of-glass U values and assembly U values.  I¹ve
>> been entering center-of-glass U-values and precise window geometry, counting
>> on eQuest to do the heavy lifting for me.  Report LV-D says ³U-VALUE INCLUDES
>> OUTSIDE AIR FILM; WINDOW INCLUDES FRAME, IF DEFINED².  However, combing
>> through several posts to this forum, some say eQuest doesn¹t really calculate
>> an assembly¹s U-value, because it ignores the edge-of-glass effects due to
>> the frame.  (Not to be confused with the thermal conductance of the frame
>> itself, which I¹m sure eQuest uses in its calcs.)  I¹m hoping that one of the
>> programmers can answer this, or maybe someone who got the story from a
>> programmer.
>>
>> I plan to read the ASHRAE Fundamentals Chapter on Fenestration this weekend.
>>  Wish me luck.
>>
>> Steve Samenski, PE, LEED AP, BEMP
>> Vice President - Sustainable Technologies
>> The Spinnaker Group, Inc.
>> http://equest-diary.livejournal.com/
>> www.thespinnakergroupinc.com <http://www.thespinnakergroupinc.com>
>> <http://www.thespinnakergroupinc.com>
>> Become the solution... Join the USGBC!

Steve Samenski, PE, LEED AP, BEMP
Vice President - Sustainable Technologies
The Spinnaker Group, Inc.
786-385-3510