[Equest-users] Infrared Heaters

Peter Hillermann peterh at westallarchitects.com
Thu Sep 9 10:51:55 PDT 2010

Nick,

I don't know but check this out http://www.infraredradiant.com/ I was giving
all kinds of solutions just in case.

Thanks,

PETER HILLERMANN

peterh at westallarchitects.com

westall

architects

3404 pierce drive

chamblee, georgia 30341

o 770.458.4113

f  770.458.5352

c 678.898.2936

westallarchitects.com

e-signatureUSGBC-Logo

From: Nick Caton [mailto:ncaton at smithboucher.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:44 PM
To: Peter Hillermann; BLafley; equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] Infrared Heaters

Bill/Peter:

I might be missing something, but this is the sort of equipment I think of
when someone says infrared heater:
http://www.spaceray.com/1_infrared-tube-heaters.php

Commonly found in auto garages and open-air outdoor venues.

If you're asking about how to model gas/electric radiant heaters of this
sort in eQuest - I think you've got a definite challenge.  You could play
the custom-space-heat-source-scheduling game for hours on end. but I would
first suggest trying a unit heater (gas or electric as appropriate) with a
fan kW/CFM of zero or nearly-zero - see if that works without errors.

The way this equipment really works is interesting/tricky to us modelers
because it does not need to heat the space air to what we'd normally call
"comfortable" temperatures as the heat can hit your skin and warm you up
without heating the air around you.  You might account for this by modifying
the zone heating schedule (the target air temperature) to a lower figure -
though I'm not sure off the top of my head what would be an appropriate
figure - any suggestions?

~Nick

cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB

NICK CATON, E.I.T.