[Equest-users] Edit Windows Detailed Interface

Brett Fero bfero at robsonwoese.com
Tue Sep 28 07:55:40 PDT 2010

I have received the follow Technical Advice/review comment regarding window
U-values

"It is unclear whether the window U-value of 0.40 used for the Proposed Case
accounts for the impact of the window frames on the whole assembly as
required by ASHRAE modeling protocol. Please provide additional information
to confirm that the framed assembly U-value was used for the Proposed Case
windows (e.g. showing that the whole window assembly has been tested by
NFRC, or verifying that LBNL Window5 calculations have been provided for the
whole assembly, or verifying that the frame effects are captured within the
energy modeling software), or revise the model referencing ASHRAE 90.1-2004
Table A8.2 if needed."

Therefore, I plan to run Window5 for each window type.  Then I will go into
eQuest, remove the frames from the windows, and enter the Window5 calculated
parameters for each widows.  The ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Table A8.2 are terrible
windows, often worse than Table 5.5.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Scott Meader <smeaderequest at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have recently inherited the task of finishing an eQuest model (and I have
> never used eQuest) that someone else has started for LEED EAc1.  We have
> received comments form the LEED reviewer, one being:
>
> 1. Windows and skylights for the Proposed Case were modeled with a U-value
> of 0.32, which does not appear to account for the impact of the window
> frames on the whole assembly as required by ASHRAE modeling protocol. Please
> provide additional information to confirm that the framed assembly U-value
> was used, or revise the model to reflect framed assembly U-values as shown
> in ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Table A-8.2.
>
> I have looked through the "Modeling Procedures Quick Reference Guide" and
> while it states you can edit or add window types in detailed mode, it skips
> over how to edit them.  Can anyone give me some direction on how to proceed?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Scott

Brett Fero, P.E., CEM, LEED-AP
*RobsonWoese, Inc*