[Equest-users] Cooling Tower efficiency in eQuest?

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Mon Apr 18 11:02:09 PDT 2011

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share the method by which
they enter EIR or fan power / cell in eQuest for baseline ASHRAE
90.1-2007 models.

I'm not sure 90.1 fully translates to eQuest.

My current calculations are like this:

Requirement (Table 6.8.1G) =

38.2

gpm / hp

Actual GPM (from PV-A) =

1000

gpm

Actual HP =

26.2

hp

Incremental HP =

30

hp

Actual KW =

19.5

KW

Efficiency from Table 10.8 =

92.4%

Consumed KW =

21.1

KW

# of chillers (ie # of cells) =

2

Fan KW per cell =

10.6

KW

But Table 6.8.1G says that the HP you come up with is the nameplate
horsepower of the fan.  It doesn't really give you information on how to
calculate bhp which would be more accurate for determining actual KW
consumed.  In my case above, I use Table 10.8 to figure out the motor
efficiency, and I take the # of chillers I have in the baseline model
and use that for the # of cells.

How does everyone else do it?

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP