[Equest-users] Change underground wall to above ground

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Apr 8 17:10:17 PDT 2011

Hi Sheri,

I'm not sure which instructions you're referring to (there's been too much!), but if you're trying to achieve something like the exterior-plenum-wall on a below-grade shell like below, check out this step-by-step instructional to change an exterior wall to an interior surface: http://onebuilding.org/wiki/doku.php/convert_an_exterior_surface_to_an_interior_surface_detailed

The below is achieved following the same procedure in concept, only instead of creating a new interior wall to replace the exterior wall, it's creating an exterior wall to replace the underground surface.  Give it a try - after doing this once it'll take you a minute or less in the future!

(PS: ignore the adiabatic wall on the right - that was helping another fella out just now...)

Bonus challenge!:

After reading my how-to and conquering the above, I'll bet you can figure out the extra step to accomplish sloped basement exposures, just like the ever-impressive Bill Bishop:

(hint if you need it - Bill made it look easy in the archives...)

If you can pull that off, please don't hesitate to flex your sexy modeling muscles and show off the results ;).

Best of luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER