[Equest-users] problem with calibration

Joe Fleming joe at thespinnakergroupinc.com
Thu Apr 14 06:21:59 PDT 2011

Is this homework?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the eQuest weather
files give the same weather information for each day in a given month, i.e.
every day in January will have 24 hrs of temperature data and extremes are
ignored, every day in February will have a new set of 24 hrs of weather
data, etc..  It is going to be tough to calibrate a model with one month of
data if the data shows swings in energy use due to swings in outdoor
temperature/weather.

If you had many months of data, you would need a detailed description of the
building; envelope/skin, HVAC systems, domestic hot water systems,
electrical systems, lighting, control sequence for all systems, building
operation schedule, occupancy, trending of existing equipment would be a
plus, etc.  Once you have all of this information you can begin building the
model to match the existing building and then once the model is finished you
can run the simulation and start calibrating the model to the utility bills
from there.

As far as an acceptable limit for RMSE, it will depend on the accuracy of
the information you have and the project requirements.  10% deviation from
previous bills is obtainable if you have some good experience with tweaking
models and an intuition for how the results will change given a change in
input.  I am guessing you have to make lots of assumptions, which could be
fun.

Also, you will never be able to predict future results with an acceptable
level of confidence in your accuracy because of the human variable and the
climate variable, we can't predict how everyone will behave in a building
and we can't predict the weather (not even tomorrow's weather).

Joe Fleming, E.I., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP