[Equest-users] External Adiabatic

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Apr 27 07:53:54 PDT 2011

Arpan, Mark and others:

In detailed mode, there are many approaches that vary from fast to quick, with slightly different end-results.  Deepika’s suggestion of forcing low u-value is very clever and something I’ll add to my toolbox!

The absolute simplest/easiest way to eliminate heat transfer across a surface in detailed mode is to delete it.  Just let there be a “hole” in your 3D building =)!  The only thing you’re losing with that approach (besides aesthetics?) is that an adiabatic surface has mass which will retain heat, whereas a deleted surface has no mass… here’s a quick summary of the various surface/partition types for reference, copied from an earlier post:

-        Deleted/No surface  - No heat transfer, no mass [Total disconnect]

-        Adiabatic – No heat transfer, Yes mass

-        Standard – Yes heat transfer, Yes mass (frame/mass partitions)

-        Air – Yes heat transfer, No mass

-        Internal – No heat transfer, Yes mass (another means of specifying thermal mass in a space – I haven’t used this myself)

If you really want an adiabatic surface (with mass), then you can make an adiabatic surface from an external surface following the pictorial guide I wrote up a while back (attached).  This will achieve the same thing the wizards do automatically, with additional flexibilities.

You both may be on top of this, but it bears repeating every so often for everyone’s benefit:  This and similar guides/discussions are currently available in the mailing list archives.  Every user of eQuest should have the following bookmarked/favorite in their browser of choice!

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/bldg-sim-onebuilding.org/ <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/bldg-sim-onebuilding.org/>

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/ <http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/>

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.