[Equest-users] Fwd: method to input the window overhangs

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Wed Apr 27 09:24:15 PDT 2011

Hello, Kirti,

It sounds like you might want to use a building shade instead of a window shade. An overhang entered for a particular window will only shade that window. If you want to model a big overhang that shades several windows, then I suggest entering a building shade instead of a window shade. In the detailed interface right click on "Fixed Shade" in the Component Tree under "Building Shell" to create a new shade. Here you can enter the reflective and transmission properties of the overhang. See the help screens and tutorials for more details. Be careful about coordinates to get it in the right location.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CC04CD.A3F215A0]

A building shade will rotate with the building. If you are modeling a nearby skyscraper that you don't want to rotate with the building, then create a fixed shade under "Project & Site" instead of "Building Shell." This site shade will stay in place as the building is rotated.

________________________________
Keith Swartz, P.E., LEED AP

Energy Engineer / Senior Project Manager
Energy Center of Wisconsin
455 Science Drive, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53711
Phone: 608.238.8276 x123
Fax: 608.238.0523

The Buildings Team
Design decisions through energy, economics and emissions analysis.
www.ecw.org/Buildings<http://www.ecw.org/Buildings>

Energy Center University
Your gateway to sustainable design training and online education programs.
www.ecw.org/university/<http://www.ecw.org/university/>