[Equest-users] equest and energy plus outputs

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Apr 27 18:06:25 PDT 2011

I was involved in a two year project 2005-2007 to convert the Calif.
Energy Commission's Title-24 certification suite of building tests from
DOE-2.1E to EnergyPlus.  There are some areas where it's difficult to
get comparable inputs due to differences or limitations in the models.
The differences between the two programs varied a lot depending on the
building, weather, and HVAC system. For the CEC certification suite of
160 runs, cooling results were more consistent, within 10% in most
cases, with EnergyPlus almost always on the high side; for heating, the
differences were much greater, sometimes with EnergyPlus being 40-60%
lower than DOE-2.1E.  I have a 120-page report on this comparison, but
haven't bothered to put it on the Web.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.