[Equest-users] Modifying Building Shell in Detailed Mode

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Aug 12 10:09:36 PDT 2011

Hi Brian,

John was quicker to the punch, but I got started writing this in short spurts here and there, and have come up with a detailed step-by-step suggesting something along the same lines.  For the benefit of your own sanity, let’s just avoid touching Revit with a 39-1/2ft pole for the moment… =)

Going back to wizards is indeed the easiest way to handle a complete zone/shell/geometry rearrangement, but you don’t have to lose all your work.  The following list looks daunting but it’s because I’m being more descriptive than I probably need to, so anyone digging in the archives can follow along in the future:

-          Save a reference copy of your project somewhere for where you’re at right now.

-          Save another copy in a “scratch work” directory.

-          In this “scratch” copy, go back to wizards.

-          Delete all shells except for the floor you need to re-do.  Delete any systems that don’t apply directly or indirectly.

-          Ensure that shell’s location is specified using XYZ coordinates (not “top of..” or similar).

-          Proceed to modify that shell only to match your new layout

-          Wrap up the wizard-level shell work, (incl. any system/zone assignments you did last time around).

-          Go through the associated shells/systems and assign a unique prefix to all components (I have a tutorial to look for in the archives illustrating this explicitly if you get lost)

-          Go into detailed, save, close.

-          Open your scratch directory, copy the .inp and rename it to “IMPORT.inp” (see where we’re going with this?)

-          Open your “target” original file, right-click and delete the shell to be replaced.  Comb through and be sure all its zones and associated systems are deleted as well.  Keep a notepad handy and make a list of what you’re removing.

-          Now open your IMPORT.inp, and delete everything except those items.  You should be left with a “partial” .inp that contains everything related to your 2nd floor. Check: every component should have a unique prefix in its name – if not go back and resolve that.  Save when done.

-          In your “target” file, click File à import à IMPORT.inp

-          QC time:  You’ll want to scan through and reassign all coils and similar to the original loops/plant equipment.  Delete anything redundant in the waterside tab (it’ll be obvious).  Also check that your space internals are assigned to the correct schedules.

-          Save, close, open, and see if any BDL errors pop up – this is a check on what you may have missed in reassigning stuff.  If you get any, resolve the errors (watch what your BDL files says), rinse and repeat until the file can open and simulate cleanly.

-          Proceed to perform any post-wizard detailed edits you may have done to that 2nd floor and any unique systems.  Reference your “reference” copy back at the first step as necessary to remember what you did, if needed.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers