[Equest-users] evaporative coolers in equest

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Aug 16 17:13:04 PDT 2011

This is the wrong way to look at evap cooling performance.  In fact, the whole logic of
sizing using design conditions falls apart when it comes to evap coolers.  Evaporative
cooling works by taking advantage of the wet-bulb depression to trade off latent for
sensible heat.
When the wet-bulb depression (DBT - WBT) is low or when the WBT is high, evap cooling
will provide little cooling.  A better way to size evap cooling is to either minimize the
unmet
cooling hours, or if there is an AC backup, maximize the energy reductions.

If you're working with a fixed evap cooling size, then you should look at the number of
unmet cooling hours to see the benefits of a window upgrade, as well as the reduction (if
any) of  electricity use.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.