[Equest-users] Concrete columns and beams

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Dec 1 07:00:50 PST 2011

Ali,

Welcome to energy modeling and to equest-users! We'll show you how deep
the rabbit hole goes.

You can either calculate an area-weighted U-factor for the wall/column
combination, or model the columns as separate surfaces. You can't just
specify that a wall contains columns. The area-weighted U-factor allows
a simpler building geometry but requires you to do the calculation, the
columns-as-separate-surfaces option requires you to use additional
vertices when defining the shell(s) in the wizard, and may add computing
time. You may want to model the columns separately to allow for the
shadows they cast and/or to show them visually in a 3-D view. The mass
of the columns may be thermally important as well depending in part on
your climate.

Regards,
Bill