[Equest-users] Concrete columns and beams

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Dec 1 13:32:56 PST 2011

Hi Ali,

A relatively simple/quick option:  Determine the area of column/beam
against the normal wall construction, then weight the conductive
properties together for a single "averaged" construction.

>From context and understanding this is your first model, I ordinarily
advise caution and careful judgment when choosing to define exterior
envelope constructions with the "weightless" U-value method.  Layered
constructions in contrast will account for thermal mass, and the
resulting tempering effects can significant impact the magnitude and
spread of hourly envelope loads modeled.  That said, it's ultimately the
modeler's call, and U-value definitions may be entirely appropriate.

If you do choose to use a layered construction, I would also create or
modify a layer specifically to bump up the net construction mass to also
reflect the weighted thermal mass of the wall.

Depending on geometry - you might consider supplementary building shades
if the protruding beams/columns have any significant role in
blocking/reflecting solar gains.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER