[Equest-users] Economizer issue

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Fri Dec 30 07:57:39 PST 2011

Regis,

I have a theory why your gas consumption goes up when you incorporate the discharge air temperature reset, but I don't know how to get around it. Perhaps someone more familiar with the DOE-2.2 code and algorithms can chime in. I believe it has to do with the difference between discharge air temperature and mixed air temperature.

Based on the economizer examples in the DOE-2.2 documentation "Volume 3: Topics" (p. 121-124) the economizer is controlled to a mixed air temperature setpoint. (TAPPXX in the FORTRAN code below.)

[cid:image001.png at 01CCC6D7.8A359F20]

I suspect that the economizer control is not changed by resetting the discharge air temperature setpoint. Perhaps the mixed air temperature setpoint is back-calculated from the discharge air temperature setpoint by subtracting the fan heat. I don't know for sure. Raising the discharge air setpoint might be causing the heating coil to come on and warm the air from the mixed air temperature to the higher discharge air temperature. That's my theory.

I have not found a way to access the mixed air temperature setpoint through eQUEST. Do any of you people more familiar with DOE-2 know of any BDL lines that could be added to the .inp file to adjust the mixed air temperature setpoint so that the economizer will not overcool?
________________________________
Keith Swartz, P.E., LEED AP

Energy Engineer / Senior Project Manager
Energy Center of Wisconsin
455 Science Drive, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53711
Phone: 608.238.8276 x123
Fax: 608.238.0523

The Buildings Team
Design decisions through energy, economics and emissions analysis.
www.ecw.org/Buildings<http://www.ecw.org/Buildings>

Energy Center University
Your gateway to sustainable design training and online education programs.
www.ecw.org/university/<http://www.ecw.org/university/>