[Equest-users] Fenestration and Window to Wall Ratio

James Newman James.Newman at me-engineers.com
Tue Feb 8 14:29:50 PST 2011

When calculating the window to wall ratio for your baseline building, should you calculate this percentage as

*         an entire building?

*         each building elevation?

*         every floor elevation?

Has anyone had an interpretation on this issue?  I was reading through the 90.1 User manual and discovered that both above grade walls and below grade walls should be considered for the wall to wall ratio which leads me to believe the calculation should be done as a whole building percentage. Just curious if someone knows the correct answer.

Thanks,

James M. Newman, EIT, LEED AP
project engineer / energy analyst