[Equest-users] Ventilation Load Opinions

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Mon Feb 21 09:04:28 PST 2011

Dear All,

I’m attempting to quantify the difference between load sizing with DOE-2.2 and other proprietary software, and I’d like to hear others’ opinions about method(s) to determine DOE-2.2 ventilation loads.  The archives hold numerous discussions about this issue, but I see no definitive responses and some for which my own opinion differs (e.g. using reports that exclude latent loads).  Here’s what I do for a block load approach, which is summarized with an example in the attachment:

1)      Set up one multi-zone system for the building so that the LS and SV/SS reports are easy to cross-reference

2)      Define the HDD and CDD, adjust design day schedules, settings/inputs, etc., as needed.  The remaining steps assume all inputs are 100% accurate.

3)      Run the simulation

4)      Document the peak building loads from the LS-C report, both the Design Day and Standard Reports (internal and/or envelope loads only)

5)      Document the peak system loads from the SS-J report, again for the Design Day and Standard Reports (system-level peak loads, including ventilation)

6)      Take the worst-case differences between these reports, as illustrated in the attachment (Note: other reports provide the same maximums shown in the SS-J Standard Report, such as SS-I, SS-D, etc., but the SS-J provides both Design Day and Standard versions).

The issue that I see with this approach is that the LS-C and SS-J peaks do not necessarily occur at the same time, so to be technically accurate, one would need to use hourly reports to parse out envelope and internal loads for the hours corresponding to the SS-J peaks.  The above would be an estimate, but I believe it to be about as close as one could get within the SIM file.  I would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks,

DAKOTA KELLEY

Project Designer | Energy Analyst

                              Office: 214.744.6199

                              Cell: 214.280.3825

                              Fax: 214.744.0770

http://www.teliospc.com <http://www.teliospc.com/>          3535 Travis St. Suite 115

dakotak at teliospc.com <mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>             Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,

And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you

are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any

distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2011 Telios Corporation.