[Equest-users] Incentives for NU Modelers and LEED APs

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Feb 9 10:49:11 PST 2011

As neither a PE (yet) nor a BEMP, I can offer some thoughts/suggestions
from the sidelines =).

-          A BEMP certification is certainly a more applicable
qualification than having a PE seal from a model-reviewing standpoint.
That said, there is a much smaller pool of BEMP reviewers out there, and
the desire for a certain quality standard in model reviews needs to be
weighed against the availability of the "BEMP reviewership" out there.

-          179D's tax deduction precedent, which permits locally
licensed contractors in addition to PE's involved in the work to
produce/certify the calculations, better encompasses the range of
commercial work out there on a national level (retrofit upgrades and the
like) which may not locally require an Engineer's seal.

-          The suggestion that no certification (BEMP or PE) ought to be
required of those compiling the incentive documentation is not a bad
idea, provided the utility can manage or sub-contract out the
spreadsheet/model/calculation review to those with the desired
qualifications... see my next bullet.  Any such requirement will likely
have some impact on how widely the incentive program is considered and
pursued by building owners.

-          One of our local utilities has a similar incentive program,
but they are much less open about who can certify the model/calculations
submitted.  They privately hire out and take on the costs of such review
as part of the incentive program's costs, so while it's no cost to
submit, it's not up to the contractor/engineers seeking to achieve the
incentives to decide who's doing the reviewing.  Consider that food for
thought.

-          Also concurring this discussion would be better-situated in
[bldg-sim], but perhaps this is a wide enough audience based on the
quick responses =).

I can address the AE PE as I'm studying right now for April:  Those
considering or studying for the Architectural Engineering (AE) PE exam
will find experience in building energy modeling, and particularly the
inter-discipline communication and design experience/understanding that
stems from energy modeling, is pretty helpful.  Energy modeling
experience isolated from building system design experience probably
won't cut it, however.

The AE exam is unique to the other PE exams in that:

-          Every single question is directly related to the building
industry - no questions about the airspeed velocity of an unladen
swallow.

-          The exam is  very much cross-discipline: questions cover
mechanical, electrical, plumbing structural design; envelop analysis,
and project management / construction administration

-          There are also some inter-disciplinary questions (i.e. how
lighting loads can affect cooling capacities and how fenestration
layout/shading affects lighting/HVAC) which require knowledge in more
than one area.  These questions are a piece of cake for those practiced
in energy modeling.

-          If you practice energy modeling and seek to really understand
what you're doing, you'll be forced to understand some fundamentals that
the average MEP consultant won't need to be rock-solid on to do his/her
job well, and that may put you at an advantage for the AE PE.

I would not conclude an AE PE would be any better/worse-qualified than
an EE or ME PE for model reviewing however.  Having a PE of any sort is
no guarantee of the modeling experience necessary for a quality review.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers